Because we have a Farmer First Philosophy, principals who are looking for a secured sale at a fair market price, their brand to be recognised, supporting information and streamlined administration, select us.
Our extensive, multi-channel network of best buyers, best traders, brand-building and merchandising capabilities and strategic partnership approach, all founded on market intelligence and efficient administration, deliver the sale at a bankable price. The business goals are aligned, brand equity grown and channels optimised. We are best practice.
RSA Trade Routes
The RSA Group adheres to a Farmer First Philosophy. The principal remains the owner of the product as far down the channel as possible in this horizontal integration process. The RSA Group is a service provider in all channels, including:
- virtual trading
- the fresh produce market
- regional market, off market trading and an international export market.
The RSA Group trade routes in this horizontal integration process is unique in the fresh fruit and vegetable industry.
We sell a ‘profreshional’ sales service, optimising the various channels within the industry.
Best buyer network
- Buyers on the market range across the LSM 1-10 groups.
- There is free access and no barriers to any buyer buying at the Fresh Produce Markets.
- The RSA Group’s sales floors are very buyer friendly.
- All buyers are regularly invited to all our promotions/product launches.
- Pre-orders are accommodated.
- 10 000 – 20 000+ registered buyers on each of the four main Fresh Produce Markets.
Effectively conveying information into intelligence is becoming central to the future success of any organisation. Delivering business intelligence involves the collection, conversion and collation of various diverse sets of data.
The RSA Group employs various tools to deliver information services to traders, producers, management, industry bodies and the public.
RSA offers various information services
- National fresh produce market sales comparisons based on sales value, mass and Rand per kilogram.
- Historic trends across 250 product lines and for 20 fresh produce markets are available.
- Producer sales performance reviews, comparing producer’s performance against markets.
- Custom reporting focusing on particular request from producers.
- Provide information used for production planning of new varieties and containers.
This intensive usage of information puts the RSA Group in a position to deliver a high level of transparency to producers. The key to the service RSA offers is the price discovery function. Utilising information on a day-to-day basis allows RSA management traders to monitor, measure and analyse sales performances proactively. This puts the RSA trader in an unique position to make informed decisions around price, demand and supply dynamics.
Legislation directly affecting RSA Group day to day operations
- Agricultural Produce Agents Act & Amendments
- Market By-Laws
- Marketing Act
- Weights And Measurement Standards Act
- Trade Metrology Act
- Occupational Health And Safety Act
- Basic Conditions Of Employment Act
- Labour Relations Act
- Employment Equity Act
- Skills Development Act
- Broad-Based Black Economic Empowerment Act & Amendments
- Consumer Protection Act
- Finance Intelligence Centre Act (FICA)
- Companies Act
- All Relevant Tax Acts
Top producer and brand profile
Top producers support the RSA Group due to price integrity. Price Integrity is the free intersection of supply and demand, the uncontaminated discovery of price for the product for that moment in time. It is free from any undue conflict and is the real/actual price without manipulation.
Long term strategic relationships build into partnerships with our producers. We understand our partners’ business, agree on common objectives and share in risks.
Brand Building & Merchandising
- The brand building and merchandising activity forms part of RSA’s range of produce and brand portfolios.
- RSA provides a stage for building a brand.
- We apply professional retail merchandising principles on the fresh produce market.
- Our merchandising capabilities aid in the brand building exercise.
- Visual merchandising requires an understanding of the brand, the buyer, the product and how to segment it and present it to its best advantage to drive sales.
- The displays and appearance are kept fresh by using colour, signage and graphics.
- We attract and expose buyers and potential buyers to the branded products.
- In-store promotions successfully bring the product and/or the brand into contact with the end user.
Traders and Markets
The RSA Group has the best traders countrywide
- They are respected within the industry and lead their product sales category
- Commission-based in all channels
- There is continuous development, training and upskilling of RSA employees
- This is done through RSA’s inductions, on- and off-site training and management development programmes
- They all show great professionalism and operational savvy
- The succession planning is in place
- Proactive involvement in Producer Days, launches and promotions serve to enhance customer engagement
- The RSA Group is a pioneer in the fresh fruit and vegetable industry, having erected the first ripening rooms, cold rooms and a pre-pack vegetable cold room on the market sales floor